There is no doubt that Antalya is the most beautiful place in the worldMustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
This composition of statues, made by sculptor Hüseyin Gezer and opened with a ceremony on May 19, 1965, at Cumhuriyet Meydanı, represents liberation and modern republic. The pedestal of the monument, which is six meters tall, has been built to be in coherence with the figures. For the construction of the Monument, Association for Atatürk Monument Construction was established in 1956 and a competition was held in 1959 with the initiatives of the Association.
It was built in 1225. It is a rectangular structure in the direction of the east - west. It is a two - story building with the main entrance on the south side. There are three small rooms in the north and two small rooms in the west of the domed main area. A set of stairs in the northwest of the domed place leads to upstairs.There are two rooms on both the north and west wings of upstairs. It was used for the rituals of dhikr and fortune of the whirling dervishes who adopted the ideas of Rumi.
It was built for Mubariziddin Mehmet Bey's son Ali in 1377. On the upper part of the tomb door, there is a handgrip-shaped piece sculpted from stone. This piece is thought to be a symbol for the nickname "Chain Breaker" given to Mübariziddin Mehmet Bey for his success while he was ending the reign of Lusignans in Antalya (1361-1373).
* Chain Breaker
* *Master, a title used for man
It was built in the name of Nigar Hatun, the wife of the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II and the mother of Prince Korkut. It is located in the Fluted Minaret Complex. The building has been walled with broken stones and spolia, it has a hexagonal body and it has been constructed with a dome inside and a pyramidal roof of pantiles outside. Inside the building, there is an open tomb made of marble. There are three - line epitaphs at the head end and foot of the tomb.
The main building materials of the Fluted Minaret which is credited to Alaaddin Keykubat I for stylistic reasons are bricks and Khorasan mortar. The minaret is thirty - eight meters tall, decorated with blue tiles and has ninety steps climbing to its balcony. Some researchers say there had been a church in the area where the mosque is located and that church had been converted to a mosque in the Seljuk period. The mosque was destroyed during the reign of Lusignans, but Muhammed Bey of Hamidoğulları had architect Balaban el - Tavaşi rebuild it in 1373.
It is estimated to have been built in the mid - 13th century. Its real title and builder are unknown. Imaret Madrassah, located in the Fluted Minaret Complex, has an inner court and four iwans and stands on a rectangular area. The body walls are made of face stone – rubble stone however almost the whole of the top cover was destroyed. Its monumental crown gate has stalactites and it is semi - domed. Its inscription is inside a rectangular alcove but since it is worn out, it is unreadable.
* Public soup - kitchen
* *Islamic College
Atabey Armağan had it built in 1239 in the Seljuk period. Today there are only remains of the entrance gate and main walls on both sides of it. The entrance gate is flat - arched. There are geometric engravings composed of zigzags and half stars engraved in low relief technique on the borders next to the gate. There is its inscription in the alcove above the gate.
Antalya Metropolitan Municipality had sculptor Meretgulu Öwezov sculpt the statue in 2004. The statue has been made for Attalos II, the Pergamon King who had the city of Attelia established in B.C. 158 and it has been modeled after the body of an Attalos statue in Berlin Pergamon Museum and the head of another Attalos statue. It stands on a square pedestal and it is 2.60 meters tall.
It is the main gate of the Old Town opening to the land. In the past, roads from east, west, and north to the city used to end up at this gate. First mentioned by Ibn Bibi in the occasion of sieges in 1207 and 1216, the gate has been restored many times. The gate, also called Bazaar Gate, Market Gate, Lodge Gate which was called Suburb Gate by Evliya Çelebi *.The Gate to the Old Town collapsed by the years of the First World War.
* Translator's Note: Evliya Çelebi was one of the most eminent travelers of the 17th century.
With the initiative of people migrating from Izmir to Antalya upon the occupation of Izmir, Antalya Municipality had the Clock Tower built in 1921. It stands on a bastion of the Gate. It is known that the Clock Tower was covered with a dome until 1942. Today, on the top of the tower, there are five merlons on every four sides. The tower, repaired in 1930 and 1967, has a round clock on every four sides. The clock dials and clocks have been renovated and digital clocks have been added afterward.
Tekeli Mehmet Pasha had it built between 1606 and 1616. It was repaired many times. The lower squarish rectangular part is made of rubble stone and the upper part is made of face stone. The large central dome is supported with two semi-domes on the east and west sides each. Covered with three small domes in the north, the mosque has gates on the east, west and north sides. The altar of the mosque is framed and has stalactites. Its pulpit is made of marble and minaret is made of face stone.
Celaleddin Karatay the regent had it built in 1250. The most important remaining piece of the madrassah, restored in 2006, is its monumental crown gate. There is a geometric click - fit half star frieze on the outmost part and a geometric click - fit star frieze that has a star of David and leave rosettes on the middle part of the crown gate. On the right of the joist hanger of the door arch, there is a relief rosette. There is the inscription in the lancet alcove above the gate.
It was built in the 14th century. The Masjid was claimed to be a tower that limited the Seljuk Citadel in the south direction, whose establishment was dated to the Seljuk Period and that lost its main function. It is a one - domed cubic masjid with face stone door and window borders and rubble stone walls. The entrance to the building is through a lancet - arched gate in the north. There is a gathering place for women on the north side of the masjid. The altar is in the qibla * **wall and it is round - arched. There is the tomb of the Ahi Girl in the northwest across the masjid.
* Small mosque
* **The direction of Mecca
Antalya had been captured by Seljuks in 1207 but it had gone out of the Seljuk domination as a result of the local's rebellion in 1212. Fetih Inscription was written upon Antalya's domination by İzzettin Keykavus I. in 1216. Arabic inscriptions written on the lower surface of the columns have been fixed on the inner city walls from Merdivenli Kapı to Uzun Çarşı Street reaching to the Gate to the Old Town. The declaration is composed of forty - two pieces, twenty - six of which are still there.
* Long bazaar
It is estimated that they have been built by the Venetians. This set of stairs leads to the marina from inside the city wall in the east of the marina. Its gate, known to have existed in the Ottoman period, later collapsed. In the Ottoman Period, the Stairs and its Gate were the connection between the Old Town and this part of the Marina. For this reason, this part of the Marina was called The Pier with Stairs. The inner city walls between the Stairs and the Gate were the control center and they split Muslim neighborhoods from the rest of the population.
It was made built by Huseyin Kenan Pasha, one of Bedirhan Pashas in 1903.Built with face stone on six stanchions and flat arches connecting them, the masjid has a hexagonal plan and mantled with a brick - covered pyramidal roof. The masjid does not have an altar, its wooden cylindrical minaret is on the northwest and the handrails of the minaret's balcony carry the spire. It is estimated that the water coming from a natural source through below the ground floor was used in the fountain pool.
Built in the Hellenistic period, Marina is a semi - circular natural port. The entrance is 110 meters wide. The present seawalls were built on the wall remains probably made in the Hellenistic period. There used to be a tower on both sides of the entrance of the marina, one of which could have been used as a lighthouse. There was also a chain between the port towers. The Papal navy planted the papal rigging on the seawall towers in 1472 and when they were leaving, they took that chain as a trophy of war to give it to the Pope in Rome.
The Marine Biology Museum, in which about 500 kinds of marine species living in the seas of Turkey are displayed, is located in Antalya Marina. It displays the marine biological richness of Turkey in a fun and catchy method. With this museum, which enables the recognition of marine spices and especially endangered species, the aim is to adopt our sea cultures and preserve our natural heritage.
Antalya Toy Museum was opened by Antalya Metropolitan Municipality with the consultancy of researcher and writer Sunay Akın on 23rd April 2011. The museum is located in an area of about 650 m2 in the marina in the old town. There are about three thousand toys from many countries such as Germany, the USA, Russia, Japan and Turkiye in Antalya Toy Museum. These toys, manufactured between 1870 and 1980 are displayed in ten separate sections. The museum has a two - story building for workshops and a theatre for 500 people.
The City Walls have a history going back to the B.C. 2nd century, more than two thousand years. They were repaired in the Byzantine period because of Arab raids and its curtain walls and moats were made outside the walls. When the city came under Seljuk domination in 1207, a series of inner walls were added to the city walls. It is known that there were more than 60 towers on the walls with short gaps between them.
A significant part of the walls whose completion and repairing continued until the mid 19th century, fell before the 1920s. The final demolition of the walls was in the mid - 1930s. Few of the outer, inner and curtain walls remained.
Ahi Yusuf had it built between 1249 and 1250. The mosque and the tomb were made of rubble stone. The two-story tomb is connected with the mosque with a wall Downstairs is the burial chamber and upstairs is the zawiya *.The sarcophagus in the burial chamber belongs to Ahi Yusuf.In the area between the mosque and the mausoleum, there are three graves two of which have epitaphs. The first epitaph tells that the grave belongs to Captain Yusuf of Alaiye, who died in 1835, and the second one tells that it belongs to Nefise Hatun, Muhlis Efendi's wife who died in 1859.
* Small Islamic monastery
The Ethnography Museum serves in two neighboring mansions which were built in the 19th century. In the first mansion, Turkish-Islamic Period pieces are exhibited. On the other, room arrangements reflecting the domestic life of the Ottoman Period and objects and architectural pieces of the same period were exhibited. In the garden of the Museum, Seljuk Bastion Inscriptions from 13th Century and Fetih Inscriptions were displayed as original pieces. Other garden pieces are gravestones dated back to the 19th century Ottoman Period and cannons and cannonballs.
Built in the late 19th century, it is one of the most magnificent mansions in the Old Town. Egyptian Timber Merchant Ömer Lütfi Efendi Lülü who had been the Mayor of Antalya for two terms lived in this mansion. On the base floor of the Mansion, there are four rooms and the yard. In the south part of the yard, there are stone stairs reaching to the upper floors. On the mezzanine, there are three spaces and on the middle floor, there is one room. On the first floor, there are thirteen spaces in total. According to the original plan, the anteroom which can be reached through wooden stairs has four iwans. From the southern iwan of the anteroom, it is possible to pass to the annex.
The bath is estimated to have been built in the 13th century. It was known as the Fish Market Gate and located in the spot that connects the two sections of the Old Town which were separated by the inner walls. The section for men is covered with two big and four small domes. The interior of the bath consists of apodyterium(locker room), tepidarium(the part where the temperature was lower), and calidarium(the hotter part). Part of the walls and a few domes of the bath collapsed by 2000s, so it has lately been repaired and a reinforced concrete women's section with a flat roof has been added to the building which is still used as a Turkish bath.
Thought to have been built in the second half of the 14th century, the rectangular - planned structure is in the southwest - northeast direction and adjacent to the east city wall. A rectangular - planned structure is added to the entrance in the northwest of the bath. The main gate opens to the rectangular - planned and flat - roofed apodyterium. A rectangular door surrounded with a cusped arch opens to the tepidarium. There is a central hot stone made of marble in the middle of the calidarium covered with a central dome, and around the calidarium, there are two private hot rooms and three iwans, two of which are cradle vaulted and one is domed.
One of the iconic structures of the city, Hadrianus Gate, also called the Three Gates by the locals due to its three-arched entrance, was built during the peace process of Rome. This gate, opening to towns such as Perge, Aspendos, Side, was the most important entrance and exit point of Attaleia.This structure entirely served an aesthetical purpose, it had nothing to do with the wide-reaching defense system.In his reign, Hadrianus visited many cities far from the city of Rome and the cities built monumental structures in his honor. This monumental gate was built in his honor when the Emperor visited Attaleia in A.D 130. Due to the wars in the Byzantine period, the gate was closed for defense reasons and with the building of walls in front of and behind it, it became completely invisible.
It is estimated to have been built in the 13th century. The square-planned masjid is made of rubble stone and face stone. The ceiling is covered with a pantile-coated single dome. The main gate on the north side is stone-jambed and flat-arched. Connection to the dome covering the worship area is fixed with designed pendentives. The altar on the south side is round - arched and made of marble. On two sides of the altar, there are two rectangular alcoves the same height as the windows on the north and west sides of the masjid, and there are lancet - arched alcoves above them.The same alcoves can also be seen on the east side of the masjid.The masjid does not have a narthex, a women's section or a minaret.
(a) It was built between 1993 and 1995. Scenes from the 19th - century Ottoman life are displayed in the exhibition rooms upstairs. This set of constructions functioning as Suna and İnan Kıraç Research Center for Mediterranean Civilizations(AKMED) is right opposite Old Town Museum and it is a traditional Antalya house rebuilt between 1993 and 1995. There is a library, an office, and a cafeteria downstairs and the section for periodicals and rare books upstairs. The institute organizes cultural events such as concerts, conferences, panels, seminars, and movie screenings.
(b) Hagios Georgios Church(Aya Yorgi in Turkish), open to worship until 1922, is rectangular - planned and monospace. The inside and the ceiling are decorated with blue patterns. Since the original stairs to women's gallery are lost, a modern style set of stairs has been built there. A scene showing Hagia Georgios fighting a dragon on his horse and two angel figures have been portrayed at the entrance. On the inscription in Karaman language, it reads: "This Hagios Georgios Chuch has existed for long, it has been built with the contributions of Christians in Antalya as it would be ruined. Great Martyr Hagios Georgios year 1863".
It was built in the 19th century. It is a two - story traditional Antalya house with a garden, an inner yard, and an outer sofa layout. There is a water - well and a sink to wash hands. There are entrances to mezzanines from stairway landings. The stairs lead to hayat(anteroom) following a twist. It has a front side full of windows that see the garden. The first room here is the main room of the house. The door does not directly open to this room, it opens to a section called seki altı(lower platform in Turkish) that is one step lower than the main room. There is another door opening from the main room to the bedroom. And there is another room next to the bedroom. The kitchen of the house is right above the stairs.
It is one of the important examples of civil architecture in Antalya. Originally built as a house in 1886, the building was also used as the Italian consulate building and gendarmerie building in different periods. Largely damaged in a fire in 1955, the building was rebuilt by the Ministry of Culture in 1991 - 1993 suitably to its present functions to protect the remaining structure after the fire. On the semi - circular marble arch, it is inscribed "1886". On the doors of the shops on the left of the door, it is inscribed "1887".
The street that functioned as the main road of the City of Attaleia in the ancient period goes from Hadrianus Gate to Hıdırlık Tower. On this main street, called Platae, there were shops in addition to offices that are now found in a city hall. Roman road remains belonging to this street were found during the research following the collapse of a building on the right of the street.
Broken Minaret was constantly used by going through many structural changes from the Hellenistic Era to the Ottoman Era. It was used as the city agora in the Hellenistic and Roman periods. In the early Byzantine period, Panhagia(the holiest) church was built inside it and it became the holiest place of Pamphylia in the mid-Byzantine Era. Panhagia Church was converted to a mosque in Sultan Bayezid II's son Prince Korkut's time. The minaret was ruined because of a fire in 1895 and started to be called the Broken Minaret as a result of the damage.
The mosque, estimated to have been built in 1834 and called Panagia Church, was used as an Eastern Orthodox Church until 1922. After the population exchange, between 1922 and 1934, it functioned as Archeological Museum and was converted to a mosque in the following years. The minaret of the mosque was built in 1958. It is rectangular - planned in the direction of east-west, pantile - coated and it has a saddle roof. The north wall was built from face stone and the other walls were from rubble stone with bonding timber. There are two entrances opposite each other, one in the north and the other in the south. The inside of the mosque is divided into three sections with two lines of five thin columns.
It was built as Eastern Orthodox Girls School in 1905 and used as a hospital both by Italians in the invasion years and by the locals during the Turkish War of Independence. The operation room in the hospital constituted by Dr. Burhanettin Onat could not reach the present day. The building was used as a Commercial School in 1927 - 1928 and as Medar - ı Vatan Elementary School in 1929. Afterward, it got the name Dumlupınar* Elementary School in memory of the War of Independence. The building originally had two stories, but then it became a four - story building with the construction of two mezzanines during the restoration in 1975.
* Battle of Dumlupınar was one of the most remarkable battles in Turkish History.
Also known as Hagios Alypios Church and built in the 19th century, Yenikapı Eastern Orthodox Church is a rectangular - planned, single - story structure with a single nave. It has a pantile-coated saddle roof. There are three barred windows on both the south and north sides. Its bond is rubble stone with bonding timber. Its west gate is arched. It has round - arched windows and half - columns are reaching the ceiling and plasterwork medallions between the columns. This church is also called the Small Eastern Orthodox Church.
It was built in the second half of the 19th century. The bath has apodyterium, tepidarium, and calidarium sections. The gate in the southwest opens to the square-planned apodyterium section. The roof of this section is a gabled triangular saddle roof. In the middle of this roof, there is an octagonal lantern with a window on each side. The tepidarium section has a sail vault ceiling with holes(called fil gözü – elephant's eyes in Turkish) on it. It opens to two square-planned rooms with domes. The calidarium section is covered with a big dome with holes on. This section has been turned into a large lounge with its cells and partitions removed.
* Non - muslim
This two - story construction consists of a square platform and a circular pulley on top. There is a cross - planned area at the end of a long hall that starts at the main gate on the east entrance. There are alcoves around this cross - shaped area.The tower is thought to have been built as a mausoleum in the 1st or 2nd century A.D.Because of the 12 ax patterns on both sides of the gate on the east, it is widely accepted that the construction was built in the name of Marcus Calpurnius Rufus and his family, who held office as a consul in the 1th century A.D. in Attaleia. The Calpurnius family also had duties as the senatorships in the Roman Empire period. In the Byzantine period, the building was included in the defense system of the city and combined with the city walls and used as a tower.
Cliff means steep faces of rock formed by wave erosion. Antalya cliffs are about 40 meters higher than the sea level. They stretch from Konyaaltı diversion in the south of the city to Lara Beach for 20 kilometers.The travertine rock layers forming the cliffs reach to Beydağları(the Taurus Mountains 30 kilometers far) in the north expanding over an area of 620 square meters. The most significant waterfall flowing into the sea from the cliffs is Düden Waterfall.
Governor of Antalya, Haşim İşcan had it built by architect Necmettin Ateş between 1940 and 1945 and it was named İnönü Park. The park is located in an area of 140, 000 square meters. There are three roads in the direction of east - west seawards all of which are parallel to each other and all end in viewing platforms next to the sea.Atatürk Stadium was built in this area in the 1950s. There is the statue called "Worker and His Son" by Mehmet Aksoy in the late 1970's in the second viewing platform, "Hand" by Kuzgun Acar in the third platform and "Don Quixote" by Cahvar Göktaş between the second and third viewing platforms.
The building belonged to Hacı İlyas Dayıoğlu, one of Turkish Greeks in Antalya and was used as Italian High School during the invasion between 1919 and 1922. When the Turkish Greeks left the city after the population exchange, it was given to the Special Provincial Administration of Antalya and it was presented to Atatürk as a gift when he visited the city between 6th and 12th March 1930. When Atatürk passed away, the manor was used as Evening Art School for Girls and Technical High School for Girls. Between 1952 and 1980, it became the service building of the Directorate of Technical Agriculture and it was reconstructed and put into service as Atatürk House Museum in 1986.
The people of Greek origin in Antalya had it built. The building in north belongs to Pandeloğlu Dimitri Ağa*and on the keystone on the main gate his initials and the date 9th May 1891 are written. The other building, on the south of this one, was built by Bakkal**İstavri Kahyaoğlu and on a round rosette on the triangular pediment of the structure the year "1889" is written. These two buildings were converted to a school in 1898. With the proclamation of the republic, the structure got the title "High School" and it is still used as the administrative building of Antalya High School.
**A title given to men
The actual date of construction of the mosque which is dated to the beginning of the 19th century is unknown. The mosque is based on a rectangular plan and its face walls were bonded with small broken stones. The most remarkable ornament of the prayer place is the hexagonal platings in black, navy blue and blue. Its cover coat consists of a central dome that stands on an octagonal pulley and two small domes on both sides of the central dome. The domes are coated with pantiles and there are octagonal lanterns on them. Eight stanchions connected with lancet arches carry the domes and two of them are in the shape of elephant feet.
It was built in the 16th century. Also known as Double Public Bath and Ottoman Public Bath, the structure has been organized as two separate baths, one for women and one for men. Its main walls were completely made of rubble stone and its ceiling is completely covered with roof tiles. The apodyterium of the men's section is covered with a large dome based on a bihexagonal pulley and connected by vaults. The women's bath is smaller than the men's. The rectangular-shaped apodyterium is covered with cradle vaults and it is very plain. The building is going to be converted into Foundations Regional Museum in the upcoming years.
Built in the late 18th or early 19th century, the inn is adjacent to the Two Gate Inn in the east. Its yard is surrounded by round shops. There are wooden rooms on the second floor. In the past, neighbor villagers brought and sold various food from their villages in the yard. They stayed in the rooms upstairs while their animals stayed in the stables of the inn. The Single Gate Inn was once defined as "inn with thirty rooms, a three-room dwelling, twenty-four wooden shops, one room and stables" in a land certificate in 1935.
The inn was built at the end of the 18th or the beginning of the 19th century and its western block is a rectangular - planned single body of 11 venues, each of which has its mezzanine. The eastern block consists of 12 single - story shops. Its wooden ceiling is covered partly with pantiles and partly with a simple new material. The two - story north and south blocks have ground floors with rubble stone walls coated with cradle vault. All ground floors open to the yard, where there are a water - well and a fountain. Its rooms upstairs, functioning as the market place now, were used for accommodation for travelers.
Bali Pasha had this mosque built between 1486 and 1494 / 95 and it was repaired between 1849 and 1850. The narthexes with windows on both sides of the main gate were added afterward. There are narthexes with barriers inside on the right and left of the gate. Both of them lead to the wooden women's section upstairs. The pulpit of the mosque is made of wood and the semi-circular-planned altar is made of marble and has round arches. There are names of the four great caliphs and Muhammed in the middle of the vaults connecting to the dome, on the windows adjacent to the altar and the centerpiece of the dome and the hand-drawn lockets made afterward.
This bath was built by Bali Bey between 1486 - 1494 / 95. It was called Bali Bey Public Bath in the sources of the 17th century and has recently been renamed as Cumhuriyet (Çarşı)Public Bath. The bath is rectangular - planned and lies in an east - west direction. Its main gate is on the west side and its gate in the east, looking to Bali Bey Mosque, opens to the furnace and woodshed of the bath. In the covering system, the holes(called elephant eyes) are used for lighting.
Murat Pasha, Governor of Karaman, had Muratpaşa Mosque built in 1570. It has a rectangular plan and it is a single - domed mosque based on a low bihexagonal pulley. Its walls are rubble - filled and face stone coated.There are narthexes with altars on both sides of the main gate in the north. The narthexes are covered with three domes carried by four lancet columns. While the second column on the right was made of marble and has an Ottoman - style capital with stalactites, the others were made of stone. Its main gate is flat - arched and surrounded by moldings. Its altar and pulpit were made of marble. The minaret of the mosque was rebuilt with two balconies in 1916.
Tekelioğlu Mehmet Ağa had it built in 1796. The building lies in the north - south direction and it looks like a small Ottoman social complex with its library building in its southwest. It is very simple and plain outside. There are wooden gathering places for muezzins on the right and left inside the mosque and there is women's gathering place above them. The interior walls are completely covered with Kütahya tiles. The tiles have the same ornament style indoors and outdoors, its pulpit is wooden and plain.
Sabur Ahmet Pasha, Governor of Antalya had labor battalions built it in 1916. There is an inscription on the east side of the building that reads "School of Union and Progress 1331" in the Ottoman language. It was used as Gazi Mustafa Kemal Pasha Elementary School until 2005 and the education in the building continued non - stop except the invasion years. In 2005, the school moved to another building with its 13 classrooms, the library and the gymnasium room and the building was converted into a representation office for the Governorship of Antalya.
Tophane(Inner Castle) is located in the north of the marina and separated from other districts with the city walls that surround it. It is estimated that the area was where the Seljuk Royal Management was located and the area where is a tea garden now was the private garden of the sultan. In the Ottoman period, this area was used as an arsenal and until the Republic period, it was also used as Tophane (armory) by the army. It was transformed into a modern park in 1926.
The Old Town was used as a marine residential area since the Ancient ages until today because of its natural and protected port and its transportation opportunities. While it was a small residential area in the early Hellenistic Period, the Old Town was named Attaleia after Attalos II. the King of Pergamo dominated the area in the 2nd century B.C. and it gained the look of the city that reached its borders today.
In the 1st century B.C. Antalya was dominated by Romans. Constructions such as some parts of the city walls, Hadrianus Gate which was built in the honor of the Roman Empire Hadrianus visiting the city and the Hıdırlık Tower were built in this period. In the Byzantine Period Antalya was one of the most important port towns of the eastern Mediterranean. Because of the Arabic and Persian raids towards the Mediterranean coasts since the 6th century, the walls surrounding the Old Town were strengthened.
Antalya was constantly passed between Byzantine and Turks and finally seized by Sultan Gıyaseddin Keyhüsrev I. in 1207. After Seljuks had the city, the Old Town started an intensive period of construction and reconstruction. The architectural pieces that represent the Seljuk art the best were built in this period.
On the other hand, the golden age of the city did not last long. Antalya was affected negatively after the Mediterranean lost its old commercial movement in the 16th century. After this period the city lost its importance in the Middle Age and until the early 19th century it stayed as a small residential area whose center was the Old Town. In the 19th century, the population spread outside of the Old Town with the effect of immigrants from Peloponnesus, Egypt, and Crete.
In the beginnings of the 20th century, the Old Town was not the most important residential center of the city. In this period it was reported many times that the walls were far from protecting the city besides threatened the public health by blocking the airflow. For this reason in the mid-1930's the walls surrounding the Old Town were made demolished. In this period the Old Town lost its existing population. Firstly the Eastern Orthodox which was an important component of the city's population left Antalya in 1922. Starting from the 1950s the last residents of the Old Town immigrated to big cities for economic reasons.
The Old Town Culture and Tourism Map was prepared by the Antalya Metropolitan Municipality, Department of City History and Promotion.
Monuments, public and civil structures that represent the cultural and architectural characteristics of various civilizations have been built for over 2000 years in the Old Town where Antalya was first located. Culture and Tourism Map aims to promote these structures witnessing the history to the domestic and foreign tourists who visit the Old Town by showing them the cultural diversity in the area that was continuously used as a residential area since the day it was built. The natural assets in the Old Town are also included in the map.
The Old Town Culture and Tourism Map offers three routes to its users. The users may complete these routes offered by the titles The Long Tour, Roman-Byzantine Tour, and Ottoman-Seljuk Tour by following the numbers.
Alanya, Türkiye'nin Akdeniz Bölgesi'deki Antalya iline bağlı bir turizm ilçesidir. Şehir merkezine uzaklığı 154 kilometredir. Türkiye'nin güney sahillerinde bulunan Alanya, 1.598,51 km²'lik bir alana sahiptir ve 2015'te nüfusu 291.643 kişidir.